Last week, I had the intention of running a pages to pattern exercise across a number of Department for Work and Pensions front-end services (We had 10 in total, see photo).
This was to give the other front-end folk more exposure to the different services and a better idea of what parts they have to them, also this would help us establish any gaps between production code and our design patterns.
A few take-aways from doing this exercise -
- I have terrible time keeping
- People are very open in taking about the challenges they are facing on their service
- Each service has quite a few common pages that are slightly different (Declaration, about you, end page)
- How we talk about things are broadly the same elements, components and modules are broadly the same
- sometimes the value isn’t from the actual exercise, but just talking through the problem with other people.
A few links -